What is film rating? or why bother with one?

As far as I understand it is an indicator for the subset of human population that can see the movie, especially useful to understand if a parent can or cannot let their children see some contents, one need not follow the film ratings to take their children to movies, it is their discretionary power on how they choose to raise their children. Please remember the last line before getting unobjective about what I write next because this is purely my personal opinion and you need not worry about doing anything different than what you are responsibly doing already for your wards and children.

So, I saw this movie called Barbie a few weeks ago with my 8-year-old daughter and found it extremely wholesome except for a few references to body parts and when I recommended that movie, I was asked if it was age appropriate, in Australia it is rated PG. By the way, the movie was banned in certain countries that do not see gun as a violence but a fundamental affirmation.

My same kid ,above mentioned, was missing in action at home due to school commitments and my husband is a huge fan of Rajini, Once upon a time when I met him in a different country, he was crazy enough to buy two back to back tickets to some movie that he had acted and there were only two shows in that city in that decade once upon a time, just saying this to tell you , I also have an acquittance who is crazy fanatic fan or used to be within reason.

He wanted to go to this newly released movie when the kid is not here, and I went with him as well, just because I don’t mind seeing it or have anything against anyone or the director.

It is fundamentally a Rajini movie for many, but replace him with any John doe, it is fundamentally a violence movie. The whole premise is constructed surrounding violence, in fact the main theme of the movie is not revenge or intelligence or anything else but Violence.

There is nothing wrong in making a violent movie, nothing wrong in acting in a violent movie and nothing wrong in seeing a violent movie IF you are an adult. What I find appalling is that it is rated as U/A in India. It is rated MA15+ in Australia.

All ratings are an indicator only, so if a parent thinks something rated PG might have some un-flavorful content, what do you think of something that is rated MA15+ in a country that sees Rajini as a John Doe actor and not as a God who is beyond questioning? Don’t get me wrong he has all the liberty to be in a movie he wants as an actor but I seriously don’t think he will let his little grandchildren watch it with him or will recommend it in good faith for his ardent fanatics to trust upon their innocent wards.

Also, if you think your children are mature enough to see this as only movie, I am glad for their maturity but also that does not change the fact that they are still children, ask yourself if you will let them watch “Game of thrones”, it is rated the same as “Jailer”.

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog